Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Review: Half-Blood (Covenant Book 1) By Jennifer L. Armentrout

Half-Blood (Covenant #1)
Paperback, 281 pages
Published October 18th 2011 by Spencer Hill Press (first published September 20th 2011)
ISBN 0983157200 (ISBN13: 9780983157205)
series Covenant #1


Summary:

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

My Review:

I Love this book and series! I Love Aiden too!

Aiden, the one who comes to Alex’s rescue is a pure, a Sentinel. (daimon hunter) and he ends up training Alex to help her catch up so she can join the Covenant again to train to also be a Sentinel. She wants it more than anything, and she even was able to kill 2 daimon’s while fighting them off before Aiden showed up, well, one she killed after he got there. He was very impressed that she was able to do this, as she has been out of training for 3 years. He sees something special in her. And boy, is there something extra special in her all right. But I will leave that little mystery for you to find out on your own.

I love the connection Alex and Aiden have, even though it’s forbidden for a half and pure to be together, or anything of the sort, they have trouble fighting their attraction. But Aiden is a good guy, and thinks of what it will do to her future if he allows them to become close. He is a real gentleman, much to Alex’s dismay!
Here is a nice little quote, kindle location 3345 (note, this same scene, well whole chapter is at authors website from Aiden’s POV, chapter 16)

He moved, ever so slightly, and his lips brushed across mine once, and then twice. It was such a soft, beautiful kiss, but when the kiss deepened, it wasn’t a shy one. This was one of dangerously pent-up need, a desire that’d been denied far too long. The kiss felt fierce, demanding, and soul burning.

(here is a small taste of the above scene, from Aiden's POV, go here to read the whole chapter from Aiden's POV, its great!)

Too caught up, I leaned in, pressing my cheek against hers. “You should tell me to stop.”
            Alex said nothing.
            And I stopped thinking. With a growl more animal than civilized, I moved toward her mouth with only one thing in mind. 
            I kissed her. Savoring her mouth, soaking up her response, I was fueled by her desire for more. And though I needed more, in the back of my mind, I already knew that more could never be enough. That if I didn’t stop, I’d never be satisfied. Like a daimon after its first taste of aether, I’d just keep coming back and back.
            As I fitted her body to mine, the kiss deepened, shocked me to the core. Gods, I wanted this, as bad as that was, I wanted this.
            Sliding my hands down her shoulders, I followed the curve of her stomach, the subtle flare of hips. Before I knew it, I was taking her to the bedroom. Never breaking contact with her mouth… her body.
            And brave, beautiful Alex threw herself into this madness like she always did. Head first, questions and concerns later. Reckless, but admirable. Dangerous, but so tempting. She slid her hands under my shirt and I jerked at the touch of her fingers.  Pulling back, I let her strip me of my shirt.
            I smiled at Alex’s sudden inhale.
Then I was on her, easing her down. And as I loomed over her, I don’t know what got to me more—that she wanted this so badly or how much she trusted me.
Trust? I stilled. Alex trusted me and I was seconds away—
            Alex’s hand glided down my chest, further south, and dammit, if I wasn’t lost. Found. Whatever. She was wearing too much clothes. I kissed her again, dragging her breath into me, sliding the top of her dress down and then off.  And I took my time finding her lips again, committing each dip and curve to memory. My lower body sank into hers, and little, surprisingly sharp nails dug into my arms.
            She kept whispering my name, over and over again as I explored her, relished in her. She was breathing in short gasps when I rolled her on top of me.

We also meet Seth in this book, his interactions with Alex are quite funny at times, I won’t say who he is, or what he is there for, so not to spoil anything. But its big, and cool. Not really a love triangle or anything, it’s far more complicated than that. That will be all I say of that.

I found this story very refreshing, and the idea quite new, Jennifer is an amazing writer, up there with some of my favorites now. I look forward to reading the rest in this series, and will also go read her other Lux series too.

I highly recommend this book, it’s not a copy cat, or anything of the sort. I read tons of books, and will tell you now, this is a very well written series, and you would be missing out if you passed on it.
I have a link at my blog to get the Daimon prequel free, go get that, get yourself a taste of the story, with no expense, you will see, it’s a story worth reading.
Remember you can download a FREE copy of Daimon from the publisher, here is the link Daimon Free

Review Of the Prequil Daimon HERE
See my review for PURE the 2nd book in this series, the amazing story continues. And another post I did for this series Here

3 comments:

  1. Half-Blood sounds amazing. Superb review.
    Also just popped by to tell you that you have been awarded the Liebster Blog Award! Yay!

    For more info, just follow me at:
    http://bexnbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not understand this libster award, I have gotten this message from several people, and just don't understand it. Thanks for coming by, i will check it out

      Delete
  2. I've had this one on my shelf for so long now and still haven't got around to it and everyone seems to love it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete