Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Uniquely Unwelcome by Brandy Nacole 5 Star Review, Read Excerpt


Uniquely Unwelcome
Kindle Edition, Second Edition, 267 pages
Published September 20th 2012 (first published June 1st 2012)
ASIN B009E96084


Being unique isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
After searching all over the world for someone as unique as she is, Racquel finds herself back in her home town where she’s treated like a monster ready to kill. Racquel is one of the most unique beings ever created. Four of the most powerful beings in the Shadow World are intertwined within her, making up her unique DNA. But no matter how unique her bloodline is, she’s considered an outcast by the entire Shadow World.
Once arriving home, Racquel finds that greater evils exist and that the person she cares for most in this world, her half-sister Addie, has been kidnapped along with other Shadow World beings. Racquel finds herself facing horrible odds with those who would rather see her dead than alive.
As her journey continues, Racquel learns more about herself, what she is capable of, and that not every being looks at her as an abomination. Coy, a human captive that Racquel saves from the Vampires, starts showing kindness toward her. Racquel tries putting distance between her and the human boy but as they spend more time together it becomes harder and harder for Racquel to fight the affection she wants and needs.
But will Coy’s friendship and her new found discoveries be enough to help Racquel unravel the strangest mystery that has ever plagued the Shadow World?


Uniquely Unwelcome Review

Wow, what a great book, I was so captivated by this unique paranormal story. But besides the paranormal elements there is an underlying message in this story, which really touches your heart. Below is a few parts that show how she feels as an outcast that is different:

My appearance is no different from any human girl. My face is framed with long black hair. I look like your average hundred and twenty pound girl but my eyes give me away. Unlike most of the other Shadows, whose eyes are a natural color, mine are pearly silver, outlined by darker silver. My pupils are dark purple, which really sets my silver off. The problem of course is that it’s not normal.I sigh. I didn’t want to walk through my hometown just yet. I wanted to go home, gather my courage, and then set out into the town. My presence wasn’t going to be that appreciated. 

And:

I keep my head high as I walk down the streets. Humans just look the other way, afraid of conflict and attention. But the Shadows, they glare. A shifter jumps back out of my way, afraid of my touch. It doesn’t stop him from glaring at me.I want to use my speed to hurry up and get home. But the streets are too crowded with humans. Instead, I walk at a normal human pace. Once I round the corner to my street, I stop.A few Witches are out in their yards but once they sense me they hurry inside. I never understood why they agreed to let my family live on their block if they were afraid of me.

I just felt so badly for Raquel, (her first name is Harmony, but she goes by her middle name) She has 4 different Shadows blood (a witch had helped her Grandparents conceive when it should not have been possible, and again her mother) She has Shifter, Werewolf, Vampire, and Witch coursing through her, which makes her different and powerful, and misunderstood. She is shunned for being “mixed” and its just really sad. It’s forbidden for a Lycan (werewolf) to be with a witch for instance, or any others for that matter. 
Anyway, we get taken on this very important journey with Raquel, where there are many Shadows that have to overcome their feelings, and someone has been kidnapping shadows from all the different ones, the 4 I mentioned plus the fairies too.

During this journey that Raquel has set out on to find her half-sister who is full Witch, she has others join her, and she finally makes some real friends, who she finds out most are more curious of her, and some just scared as they do not know what power she holds.

There are many witty funny parts to this story too, that I enjoyed immensely. Raquel is a strong minded person, and I really liked her a lot. I was glad to see she does have a forgiving heart too, even though the lycan, Ethan, whom she is traveling with, and who has always ridiculed her growing up, she has learned to get along with him, and he also gets a taste of what it was like for her. He feels the stares as they walk into the main residence of the Witches, and it gives him a taste of what her life was like for Raquel.

I liked the touching relationship that comes up between Raquel and Coy, the human that escapes the Vampire lair where they meet with the head of them, he was a slave for his whole life, and wants to escape and also find his brother, who was also taken along with all those Shadows. Micah is one that I see playing a big role in upcoming books, which I can’t wait to read now.

We have a few steamy parts too, I just have to share, with Raquel and Coy, here is a good one:

He leans down, asking permission before bringing our lips together in a soft sweet kiss. His lips softly brush over mine.The kiss slowly becomes more passionate. His lips push hard and swiftly against mine, intoxicating me. He places his hands around my waist pulling me onto his lap. Now I’m cradled over him, my lips working and moving passionately against his. His hands wander up and down my back, down my legs, over my arms. He keeps pulling me closer like he can’t get enough of me.I run my hands under his shirt, feeling his skin burn against my palms. I want to rip his shirt completely off of him. Go where I never thought I would. The desire to feel alive and wanted overwhelms me. His touch brings my lonely emotions to the surface. A part of me tries showing reason, reminding me that this is a little fast, that he could hurt me in a matter of seconds. The other part of me lashes out at my reasoning. I could be dead in a few hours, and if not I still want him, still want his touch.

I can’t say enough at how much I love this story, and the meanings behind it as well as the action and excitement within it too. I highly recommend this to all ages, YA and adult alike. Its touching, fun, action, suspense, all of that with a little clean steamy parts. I will be reading book 2, as soon as I can, as the bit of a cliffhanger has me intrigued. It’s the good kind of cliffhanger, not the type that makes you want to through the book across the room like many others I won’t mention here, lol.
Go get this book, its amazing, and so worth your time to read, and written so well too.

I highly recommend it. 5 big stars out of 5 for me.


I was provided a copy of this book for my honest review for the Goodreads Shut up and Read/Read it and Reap group Discussion is here for this book.


 If you like my review, would love some support at Amazon, Here (mark as helpful) or Here at Goodreads, thanks

Brandy Nicole can be found at her Blog | Goodreads  



Excerpt part of chapter one

Chapter One
I tug on the ropes around my wrists again but I know it’s useless. I have been pulling on these ropes for hours. My wrists throb with pain. I can feel blood trickling down my hand and dripping off my fingertips.
“Let’s see how she likes this.”
My eyes go wide as the Vampire, Irving, unravels a whip. I want to scream, beg, and plead for them to show some mercy. I don’t. Even though my mouth isn’t gagged, I know better than to make a sound. It will only fuel their animalistic manner.
Ravyn laughs maliciously. Her blue eyes twinkle with a vile hatred as Irving advances on me. I glare at Ravyn. Earlier when Irving had ordered Ravyn to push wind up against me until I couldn’t breathe, she had laughed the whole time. Then when Irving had ordered her to back off, she kept pushing. She was enjoying the pain they were causing me way too much. I wonder what the Covenant thinks about her activities.
Ravyn’s laugh is infectious and the crowd behind her starts laughing too. Irving stops a few feet away from, twirling his whip at his side. As he stares at me with those pure black eyes, my heart beat picks up. I don’t show my fear but I feel it.
As Irving brings the whip up, I close my eyes and brace for the impact. The whip makes a crackling sound and just before it makes contact with my skin I jerk in my seat. I grab at the seat in front of me as I try to catch my breath. I hate reliving those horrid nightmares. It was bad enough living them.
Once I’ve calmed down a bit, I notice the bus isn’t moving. As I look up to see where we are I notice a man slowly making his way to the back of the bus. I recognize him as the bus driver. He doesn’t wear a uniform but instead regular street clothes. A blue button down shirt covers his pudgy belly, probably created from years of sitting on a bus for a living. The golden nameplate pinned to his blue shirt gives him away as the driver. Plus, the hat he wears with the company’s logo on it.
As the driver makes his way back to me, I try shaking off the memory of my dream. I shudder as chills break out over my body, sending a light tingle over my scars. The driver looks uneasily toward the front where everyone else is seated. Some Witches had been sitting in the back of the bus when I sat down, but they’d all made their way to the front. Honestly, I can’t say I didn’t expect it.
The bus driver approaches cautiously. He’s acting like I’m a hostile person. “Excuse me ma’am, I believe this is your stop.”
I look out the window. The bus is stopped out front of Pen’s Market. I shake my head, “I’m getting off at Red Tree Street.” 
“I’m sorry miss but this is the only stop in town. We had to cut back on stops for economic reasons.” The man’s voice is shaky. This is the reaction I always receive from humans. They get a vibe off me that I’m not normal. Which I’m not.
My appearance is no different from any human girl. My face is framed with long black hair. I look like your average hundred and twenty pound girl but my eyes give me away. Unlike most of the other Shadows, whose eyes are a natural color, mine are pearly silver, outlined by darker silver. My pupils are dark purple, which really sets my silver off. The problem of course is that it’s not normal.
I sigh. I didn’t want to walk through my hometown just yet. I wanted to go home, gather my courage, and then set out into the town. My presence wasn’t going to be that appreciated. 
As I stand the driver hurries back toward the front. A few humans and other Shadows get off before me. As I step off the bus my stomach drops. Never did I think I would be back here. When I had left home last year I had the intentions of never coming back.
One of the Shadows that had been on the bus, a Witch, is talking with another Witch in front of the market. Their hushed conversation and stares tells me they’re talking about me. I ignore them knowing they will be the first of many.
I groan as I realize I have a three mile walk to get to my house. Heaving my backpack, I start off toward home. It’s a warm day in Virginia for being the beginning of September.
I keep my head high as I walk down the streets. Humans just look the other way, afraid of conflict and attention. But the Shadows, they glare. A shifter jumps back out of my way, afraid of my touch. It doesn’t stop him from glaring at me.
I want to use my speed to hurry up and get home. But the streets are too crowded with humans. Instead, I walk at a normal human pace. Once I round the corner to my street, I stop.
A few Witches are out in their yards but once they sense me they hurry inside. I never understood why they agreed to let my family live on their block if they were afraid of me.
When I see my house, I gasp. All the windows and doors are boarded up and there is a sign that says no trespassing on the door. I don’t know who would have done this since the house was paid for and claimed. I know my sister Addie didn’t do this. She had always hoped I would eventually come back home. When she left to go study at the Covenant, she made sure that I knew the house would always be open. 
I walk up the creaking steps and take a glance around. I can’t see pass the boards to look through the windows. The spare key is still under the funky looking ceramic cats that my grandmother loved. Now if Addie had done this after I left wouldn’t she have taken the key?
I rip off the board covering the door and use the key to get in. As the door creaks open it seems like years of dust bombard out the door as fresh air fills the house.
Everything in the house seems untouched, proof from all the dust that covers everything. I slowly walk into the house, opening my senses to make sure no one lurks in the shadows or rooms upstairs. All is quiet. I can’t sense any other presence in the house.
I relax a bit, finally feeling the comfort of my house releasing the tension in my shoulders. I place my backpack on the floor and start checking things out. I flick the light switch by the door. Ta-da, there’s power. Checking the faucets in the kitchen, I find I still have water too. So someone has to be paying the utility bills.
While I’m in the kitchen I look through the cabinets and refrigerator. Everything’s empty. I make a mental note of what I need. Obviously food is number one on that list. The refrigerator holds nothing but a box of baking soda.
The incessant flashing of the message light on the phone has me growling out with dread. When I hit the message button the automated voice tells me I have one hundred and fifty two messages. Wow. I guess people didn’t take the hint.
Listening to the first message I smile. “Racquel I know you aren’t going to be home for a while but when you get home please call me. I’m going to be checking in every so often to see if you’re home. If not I’ll leave a message and try again later. I love you and I hope you find what you’re looking for.” The phone beeps off to the next message. It’s Addie again like she promised. I hit the message button to turn it off. I’ll listen to the rest later once I’ve checked the house. 
I find everything in the living room as it always was. An afghan is draped across the back of the couch. Pictures of various gods are hung at random on the walls. In this house, we didn’t just thank one god. We had to thank four gods, unlike most Shadow houses, who only had one god to remember.
The Shadow beings use to take their worship of the gods very seriously. Now, it seems only the Witches are still devoted to their god, Hecate. I never cared for any of it. I guess since I didn’t have an actual god to thank, I felt no need to worship or thank any of them. 
I walk on upstairs, stopping to look at the pictures of my family. My grandmother had careful hung these pictures in order of our family tree. It started with my great grandfather and great grandmother. They’re the ones that started our crazy family.
In the Shadow World we are not supposed to mix races. We are supposed to stay true to our kind when it came to love. We could mingle as friends but that was it. Well, my great grandparents changed that. She was a Shape-shifter and he was a Lycan.
When they first proclaimed their love everyone was in shock. Once they united in marriage, they were banned from their clans. They were happy though and didn’t let discrimination deter them from living together.
Once they had their daughter, my grandmother, things changed. It should have been impossible for them to have a child because Shadows are poisonous to one another. My great-grandmothers’ saliva should have killed my greatgrandfather but it didn’t. My guess is the blood ceremony canceled the affect. Usually the only Shadows that perform a blood ceremony are the Vampires. My great grandparents had no reason to do a blood ceremony but they did anyway. 
My grandmother was a half and half, which had never happened before. When my great-grandparents saw how their beautiful bundle of joy was being treated, they isolated themselves. The things that she went through were harsh, a lot like my own story.
They started regretting their decision to have a child, especially as my grandmother grew older. She wanted love like anyone else but who would have her. People in general don’t like accepting something that shouldn’t be. But there was one that finally rolled around, my grandfather.
I glance over to the picture of my grandparents. They look so happy together. My grandmother had told me it was love at first site. Of course, she had to go off and fall in love with a Vampire. When they united in marriage and performed a blood ceremony, Shadows were in an uproar. They tried having them killed for their betrayal but the council left them alone.
After being left alone for several years, my grandmother decided she wanted a child. There was just one small glitch, my grandfather couldn’t have children. When Hates created the walking dead, the curse he created upon them allowed their bodies to go unchanged so they could live forever. I don’t know much about biology but I know a dead body can’t produce new life.
This didn’t stop my grandmother though. She set out on a quest to find a way to conceive a child. My grandmother wanted nothing more than a family. After all her searching she found a Witch that would help her. She never would tell me who that Witch was. All she said was that she brought her miracle to life.
That had agitated me to no end. I eventually started doing my own research with the assistance of my reluctant sister. We found that the only spell that would allow for such a change was done through black magic. A human soul would have to be taken in exchange for a twenty four hour window given to the Vampire. It allowed that Vampire’s heart to beat and for the reproductive organs to start working. The genes of the Vampire would still be intact the only thing the spell did was unlock his frozen body.
As it turns out my grandparent were lucky in that twenty four hour window. My father was brought into this world six months later. Shadow babies are not carried as long as human babies. We have an advanced growth rate than humans.
My grandparents had decided not to keep my father in isolation. They thought if he was brought up in a community then that community would get used to him and accept him. But that didn’t happen.
He went through the same ridicule that my grandmother had gone through. He was still shunned throughout the community. No matter where my grandparents moved hatred always followed. The streets were never acceptable enough for someone so different.
Eventually my mother came around. She befriended my dad even though her parents forbade her. At first they were just friends but that friendship grew into love. I think for my father it was love from the beginning. When they married it brought another mix into the family, the Witch line.
Soon after their marriage, trouble started. My mother wanted a child with my father. She already had one child from a one night fling with some other male Witch that meant nothing to her. But my father was reluctant. He tried making my mother see his point of view and told her Addie was already a daughter to him.
She wasn’t having it. So my grandmother shared the knowledge of the Witch that had helped her. My mother knew the Witch she spoke of and went to pay her a visit. Same happened with my parents as it did with my grandparents. My mothers’ dream came true. I was born: four Shadow essences met for the first time ever. 
Unfortunately my mothers’ time with me was short lived. My birth killed her two days later. The Covenant had tried everything they could to save her but it wasn’t enough. They had said that her pregnancy was just too much for her body. When you combine so many different monsters into one body it takes its toll out somewhere. So in retrospect, I killed my mother.



Book 2 is out now, I will be reading and reviewing it soon. Its Blood Burdens, Add to Goodreads


0 comments:

Post a Comment