Sunday, August 5, 2012

Summer Wrap-Up-Read-A-Thon

Welcome to the Summer Wrap-Up
Read-A-Thon

Here is the Details:
It will take place Aug 4th-12th. It will provide some motivation to finish up all the reading you were hoping to get done over the summer. You can read whatever you want and as much or as little as you want. If you can only participate during a few days of the event, that is okay too. There is no requirements to follow but it’s always appreciated. You don’t have to have a blog, feel free to follow along on twitter, Goodreads or Facebook. We will be tweeting with hashtag #SWUR. You can follow us on twitter for the challenge updates but it’s not required. You can sign up here.
 (sorry I am late getting mine up, real life got in the way)

Be sure to go over to Some Like It Paranormal for the challenge schedule
These are the books I would like to get read. Clicking the cover at bottom of the post, takes you to Goodreads. I am trying to finish up some of these, some have just started, etc.

(need to finish up this one, hard for me, as I feel lost, I never read the other books)
Semester Aboard reading now
Obsidian DONE 
The Lost Prince (ARC Just received, so excited)
Ember DONE REVIEW
I might get to The Evolution of Mara Dyer (I have not read the first book yet)
(just received this ARC from Jessica Sorensen, so need to read it)

Challenges

Aug 4 – Wicked Summer Cover Challenge, Hosted by WickedlyBookish
The first challenge is a book cover scavenger hunt, in which we try to find certain covers with certain items on the list.
This is what I have so far. It’s a work in progress, and on going. 

American Flag : Floodgate
Sunset : The Afterlife Interviews
Oceanscape/Beach : Unearth
Sun : Halo
Teeny Bikini: Swimsuit
Sailboat: Castaway Dreams

Challenge 2 can be found at this POST
Challenge set by A Book Lovers Review
Hotter than Summer Boys, so go see my Post, to see which HOT book boys I picked. And visit A Book Lovers Review for the link list of other post who did the same. So much fun, now back to my reading of gorgeous  sweet Dawson Black of Shadows (i am so sad knowing what I heard that he is "gone" like dead maybe?) But he is so much nicer than his twin Daemon. (i have not read Obsidian yet, but plan to get it this week)
Challenge 3
Cover Love hosted by 
Simple one, we are to post some of our favorite covers released this summer.

Here is mine:



Summer Couples Challenge by

Winged Reviews

Book Couples Challenge
Comment on this post and tell us about two characters from two separate books (not in the same series) who would make a great love match! Then be creative and let us know where they would go on a summer date!

I will comment at her site too, but wanted to put my choices here too for you all.

I just got done reading Obsidian and Shadows before that, by Jennifer L. Armentrout, not long ago, I finished reading Rise Of the Nine.

I Choose Dee from Obsidian (Lux series, Daemon and Dawsons sister, they are triplets)
and Kick butt Hottie Nine from the Lorien Legacies, Rise of the Nine. and Power Of Six
2 kick butt aliens who are both hot, together. Why not? And they can go on a hike/picnic, in the mountains to a lake, and show off each other kick butt abilities to each other. (neither actually have a good love interest in their own books, so these would be perfect together.) Dee would be like a female version of Daemon and Nine is muscular tall, and very goodlooking, and has a funny, snarky personality, Dee would love him. Here is a few pieces from Power of Six (book before Rise of the Nine) when Nine is first rescued.


(From Four's POV aka John Smith, in Power of Six)
The boy grips the bottom of the door and rips it from the wall, tossing it into the corridor like a Frisbee. The ceiling cracks and boulders fall, and I use telekinesis to shield Sam and me from being crushed. Before I can say a word, the boy emerges clapping the dust off his hands. He’s taller than I am, shirtless and muscular.
___________________________________________________________
The boy looks past Sam and his weapon, focusing on the Chests under my arms. That’s when I notice the three scars on his leg. They’re just like mine. He’s one of us.
I drop the other Chest to the ground in shock. “What number are you? I’m Four.”
He squints at me and then offers his hand. “I’m Nine. Good job staying alive, Number Four.”
______________________________________________________________

“You have any other Legacies yet?” I ask Nine over the sound of my gun.
He winks, and then he’s gone, running along the cracked ceiling at super speed. The Mogs don’t notice Nine until he’s dropped behind them, and by then it’s too late. He’s a tornado, ripping through them with a ferocity I didn’t know Loric possessed; even Six would be impressed. Sam and I stop firing, letting Nine dismember each Mog with his bare hands.
When he’s finished, Nine runs back along the left wall of the corridor before circling to the ceiling and then to the right wall, a cloud of ash trailing him.
“Antigravity,” Sam says. “Now that’s a cool Legacy.”
Nine skids to a stop in front of his Chest and kicks it shut. “I can also hear pretty well. For miles.”

From Rise of the Nine, Four thinking on Nine's legacies (his abilities)

He’s already the biggest and strongest Garde I’ve ever seen, has the ability to transfer powers to humans, an antigravity Legacy, super speed and hearing, telekinesis, and whatever else he hasn’t told me yet. 



Here is some cool stuff with Dee from Obsidian: I broke them up, the line breakes show end of that part. Be fun teasers for those who have not read these books yet. If you like the Lux series, you will like the Lorien Legacies too, trust me.

I stepped forward. “Do it.”
“Do what?”
“The alien light bulb thing,” I said.
Dee’s lips spread into a wide smile. “You’re not afraid of me?”
I shook my head. How could I be afraid of Dee? “No. I mean, I’m a little blown away by everything, but you’re a freaking alien. That’s kind of cool. Bizarre, but definitely on the cool side of things.” Her lip trembled. Tears turned her eyes into shimmering jewels. “You don’t hate me? I like you, and I don’t want you to hate me or be scared of me.”
“I don’t hate you.”
Dee popped forward, moving faster than my human eyes could register. She gave me a surprisingly strong hug and pulled back, sniffling. “I was so worried all night, especially since Daemon refused to let me talk to you. All I could think was I’d lost my best friend.” She was still the same Dee, alien or not. “You haven’t lost me. I’m not going anywhere.”
__________________________________________________________
 “So you’re as fast as light?”
“I think we might be a little faster.” She popped over to the stove. She placed her hand over the skillet. It immediately started crackling under her palm. Over her shoulder, she grinned.
The stove wasn’t turned on, but the scent of cooked bacon filled the air.
I leaned forward. “How are you doing that?”
“Heat,” she said. “It’s faster this way. Takes me seconds to fry up pig.”
_____________________________________________________________

 “Want to see what I’m good at?”
When I nodded, she moved back from the table and closed her eyes. The air around her seemed to hum softly. A second later she went from teenage girl to a form made out of light, and then a wolf.
“Um,” I cleared my throat. “I think I’ve discovered how the legend of werewolves got started.”
She padded over to me and nudged my hand with her warm nose. Unsure of what I should do, I patted her on the top of her furry head. The wolf let out a bark that sounded more like a giggle and then backed off. A few seconds later, it was Dee again.
“And that’s not all. Look.” She shook her arms. “Don’t freak out.”
“Okay.” I clenched my glass of OJ.
Closing her eyes, her body faded into the light and then she became someone totally different. Light brown hair fell past her shoulders and her face was a bit paler. Eyebrows arched over large, doe eyes, and her rosy-colored lips formed a half smile. She was shorter, a little more normal looking.
“Me?” I squeaked. I was staring at me.
“Hey,” Dee-as-me said. “Can you tell us apart?”
______________________________________________________
I hope you enjoyed my choices, these 2 would be a great couple i think. The teasers are fun too, felt like giving you all a little taste of the books.
Let me know if you have a post for this challenge too. I will come see it.



***************************************
Challenge from The Book Belles


The Challenge is to pick some funny quotes, I did that, and posted 3 at her comments as asked, you should go over there and see all those funny quotes. I have picked a few more here for you to enjoy.

#1
“Somehow, I believe you”
“If you didn’t, I could always give you a teaser,” He paused, and I could hear the smile in his voice. “you bookish people love teasers, don’t you?”
I laughed, “ You’ve been doing your research on my blog.”
“Maybe,” he replied. “Like I said, I’ve got to keep an eye on you, Kitten.”
-Onyx Jennifer L. Armentrout

#2
“Don’t touch any of my weapons without my permission.”
“Well, there goes my plan for selling them all on ebay,” Clary muttered.
“Selling them on what?”
Clary smiled blandly at him. “A mythical place of great magical power.”
-Cassandra Clare, City of Bones

#3
Malachi scowled. “I don’t remember the Clave inviting you into the Glass City, Magnus Bane.”
“They didn’t,” Magnus said. “Your wards are down.”
“Really?” the Consul’s voice dripped sarcasm. “I hadn’t noticed.”
Magnus looked concerned. “That’s terrible. Someone should have told you.” He glanced at Luke. “Tell him the wards are down.”
~Cassandra Clare, City Of Glass

#4
“You don’t look like an alien!” It seemed important to point that out.
He arched a brow. “And what do aliens look like?”
“Not…not like you,” I sputtered. “They aren’t gorgeous—”
“You think I’m gorgeous?” He smiled.
I shot him a dark look. “Shut up. Like you don’t know that everyone on this planet thinks you’re good-looking.” I grimaced, shocked to even be having this conversation. “Aliens—if they exist—are little green men with big eyes and spindly arms or…or giant insects or something like a lumpy little creature.” Daemon let out a loud laugh. “ET?”
“Yes! Like ET, asshole. I’m so glad you find this funny. That you want to screw with my head more than you guys have already screwed with it. Maybe I hit my head or something.”
-Obsidian, Jennifer L. Armentrout

#5
Timmie gave Bones and me a speculative glance. “Before we go, I gotta know: If mind-reading abilities are real, there’s something else I wondered if fiction got right about vampires—”
“Ask me if I sparkle and I’ll kill you where you stand,” Bones cut him off with utmost seriousness.
-Halfway to the Grave, Jeaniene Frost






2 comments:

  1. The only ones I've heard of are Shadows and The Goddess Legacy. I can see how Legacy would be confusing without the other books. I'd definitely have a hard time with that! I'll have to check the others out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to read Obsidian!!! I hear so much about it. I also have The Goddess Legacy and The Lost Prince to read. I'm so buried in books lol Good luck and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete