Thursday, August 16, 2012

Obsidian (Lux series #1) Review with EXTRAS by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: May 8, 2012


Links: Goodreads |Amazon



I had really, really loved Shadows, so am not surprised to love Obsidian as well. I had read Shadows first, and am glad I did. It was a great story on Daemon’s twin Dawson. So now, we are in the life of Daemon and Katy. He acts all tough and treats her like dirt, really, but I could somehow see that is all a charade for him. He just has a bitter taste in his mouth about humans, since he is not human, he is an alien, a Lux, if you read Shadows, you would know this. Dee is great, she is Daemon and Dawson’s brother, they are triplets, and she really wants and needs a friend, so she tries to befriend Katy as soon as she moves in. Of course Daemon tries all he can to keep them from being friends. He thinks it’s dangerous for Dee, and he would do anything to protect her, after all, she is all he has left, after Dawson’s disappearance. I think you will enjoy this book and especially the 2nd book Onyx if you read Shadows, the prequel first. But FOR sure read Shadows before Onyx, just trust me, its info you will need.

Laptop scene above was posted at Jennifer's site for us just recently, make sure your volume is up she said. You can see here post here.

Here is a quote from when Daemon and Katy first meet:

Kindle Location 124
“Can I help you?” Full, kissable lips turned down in annoyance.
His voice was deep and firm. The kind of voice accustomed to people listening and obeying without question. His lashes lifted, revealing eyes so green and brilliant they couldn’t be real. They were an intense emerald color that stood out in vibrant contrast against his tan skin.


As you can seen, she likes what she sees, then he opens his mouth, and he is less than nice, that is for sure. Here is a part where he is a little insulting to Katy:

Kindle Location 145
“I’m not a kid. I’m seventeen.”
“Is that so?” He blinked. “You look like you’re twelve. No. Maybe thirteen, but my sister has this doll that kinda reminds me of you. All big-eyed and vacant.”
I reminded him of a doll? A vacant doll? Warmth burned in my chest, spreading up my throat. “Yeah, wow. Sorry to bother you. I won’t be knocking on your door again. Trust me.” I started to turn, leaving before I caved to the rampant desire to slam my fists into his face. Or cry.


This banter between Katy and Daemon is hilarious, I really got a kick out of it, you can tell as time goes by, that there is that passion under all the banter, and a fun wit that I love. Here is another fun part between Katy and Daemon.

Kindle Location 465
“You don’t seem like a person who does anything he doesn’t want to do.”
“Normally I’m not.” He moved around to the back of the car. “But my sister took my car keys and until I play nice, I don’t get them back. It’s too damn annoying to get replacements.”
I tried to stop it, but I laughed. “She took your keys?”
He scowled, returning to my side. “It’s not funny.”
“You’re right.” I laughed. “It’s freaking hilarious.”
Daemon shot me a dirty look.
I folded my arms. “I’m sorry, though. I’m not accepting your not-so-sincere apology.”
“Not even when I’m cleaning your car?”


It’s funny how Dee demanded Daemon to play nice with Katy, or he would not get his car keys back, she is funny.
I really fell in love with the characters in this book, I started to love Dee in Shadows, as in that book we get some stuff from her point of view, and some with Daemon’s point of view, which was awesome, it gave me a better perspective of why he is so harsh in this book, and I forgive him more for it. I finally fell for Daemon too, like everyone else, but still really love Dawson too. Daemon is great in his own ways. I like how he really does look out for Katy, after he saves her life and when doing that, it left a “trace” on her, which is a glow, like a aura around her, but only other Luxen can see it, or their enemy the Arum can see it, which is a danger to her and the Luxen, as they will be able to see it, and it will then lead them to the Luxen, which they kill for their “energy life force”. He doesn’t feel he should leave her side; he needs to protect her until it fades.
I love this part, where Daemon is being thoughtful, and shows a little of his true and vulnerable side.


Kindle Location 844
“I’ve always found that the most beautiful people, truly beautiful inside and out, are the ones who are quietly unaware of their effect.” His eyes searched mine intently, and for a moment we stood there toe to toe. “The ones who throw their beauty around, waste what they have? Their beauty is only passing. It’s just a shell hiding nothing but shadows and emptiness.”
He does have a softer side, but usually he will follow things like that with some wit. This part really cracked me up, when she found out he was an alien (come on, everyone knows he is, so it should not be spoilery, lol)
Kindle Location 1967
“This is crazy, but I’m not scared of you.”
“You’re not?”
“No.” I laughed, but it sounded a bit crazed—totally unconvincing. “You don’t look like an alien!” It seemed important to point that out.
He arched a brow. “And what do aliens look like?”
“Not…not like you,” I sputtered. “They aren’t gorgeous—”
“You think I’m gorgeous?” He smiled.
I shot him a dark look. “Shut up. Like you don’t know that everyone on this planet thinks you’re good-looking.” I grimaced, shocked to even be having this conversation. “Aliens—if they exist—are little green men with big eyes and spindly arms or…or giant insects or something like a lumpy little creature.” Daemon let out a loud laugh. “ET?”
“Yes! Like ET, asshole. I’m so glad you find this funny. That you want to screw with my head more than you guys have already screwed with it. Maybe I hit my head or something.” I started to climb to my feet.


This part here with Katy and Dee was funny, where Dee shows an example of some of her abilities to Katy.


Kindle Location: 2186
“Don’t freak out.”
“Okay.” I clenched my glass of OJ.
Closing her eyes, her body faded into the light and then she became someone totally different. Light brown hair fell past her shoulders and her face was a bit paler. Eyebrows arched over large, doe eyes, and her rosy-colored lips formed a half smile. She was shorter, a little more normal looking.
“Me?” I squeaked. I was staring at me.
“Hey,” Dee-as-me said. “Can you tell us apart?”
Heart pounding, I started to stand but didn’t make it. My mouth moved but no words came out. “This is…weird.” I squinted. “Does my nose really look like that? Turn around.” She did. I shrugged. “My butt doesn’t look bad.” The exact replica of me laughed and then faded out.


One thing Jennifer L. Armentrout does, and never fails to do, is make us all fall head over heels in love with her characters. She did it to me in the Covenant series, and did it again to me with this Lux series. How could we not fall in love? All her sizzling character chemistry, and well written characters, in an action packed books, will always leave us wanting more. Her writing is just amazing. If you have not read any of her books yet, I suggest you do, you will be sucked in like the rest of us.

You know what else I think is really cool about this book? Katy is a book blogger! Yep, a book blogger like a lot of us fans are, and it sure makes us relate to her on a whole new level.
Here is another part that I just loved!

“Listen closely,” he said, taking a step forward. I took one back, and he matched my steps until my back bit into one of the tall trees. Daemon bent his head down, his unnatural green eyes taking up my whole world. Heat rolled off his body. “I’m only going to tell you this once. If anything happens to my sister, so help me—” He stopped, taking a deep breath as his gaze dropped to my parted lips. My breath caught. Something flickered in his eyes, but they narrowed again, hiding whatever had been there.
The images were back. The two of us. Hot and sweaty. I bit my lip and tried to make my expression blank, but yet again I knew he could tell what I was thinking when his expression turned annoyingly smug. Beyond annoying.
“You’re kind of dirty, Kitten.”
I blinked. Deny. Deny. Deny. “What did you say?”


I am going to leave you with one more juicy quote that had me turning red, and laughing at the same time.


Kindle Location 2339
“So, you guys are like us in other, uh, departments?”
Daemon sat up, arching a brow. “Come again?”
I felt my cheeks flush. “You know, like sex? I mean, you guys are all glowy and stuff. I don’t see how certain stuff would work.”
Daemon’s lips curled into a half smile, and that was the only warning he gave. Moving unbelievably fast, I was on my back and he was above me in a flash. “Are you asking if I’m attracted to human girls?” he asked. Dark, wet waves of hair fell forward. Tiny droplets of water fell off the ends, splashing against my cheek. “Or are you asking if I’m attracted to you?” Using his hands, he lowered himself slowly. There wasn’t an inch of space between our bodies. Air fled my lungs at the contact of his body against mine. He was male and ripped in all the places I was soft. Being this close to him was startling, causing an array of sensations to zing through me. I shivered. Not from the cold, but from how warm and wonderful he felt. I could feel every breath he took, and when he shifted his hips, my eyes went wide and I gasped.
Oh yeah, certain stuff was definitely working.
Daemon rolled off me, onto his back beside me. “Next question?” he asked, voice deep and thick.
I didn’t move. I stared wide-eyed at the blue skies. “You could’ve just told me, you know?” I looked at him. “You didn’t have to show me.”


I highly recommend you read this book, or start with Shadows if you have not read any of the Lux books yet. But you can read this one, then Shadows, as most people had, as Shadows is a prequel that came out AFTER this, but to me, it was more fun reading it first. Either way, what are you waiting for? The Luxen babes are waiting!

Here is some extra parts I love, from this book , from Daemons POV, they are extras in the back of the ebook:


Kat met my stare and held it. Not backing down—never backing down. Reluctant respect continued to grow inside me, but underneath that, something else was developing. I was two seconds from kissing that pissed off look right off her face. I wandered what she’d do. Hit me? Kiss me back?
I was betting on the hitting part.


This is another Daemon's POV The Morning After )

I wasn’t sure if I was dreaming, but if I was, I didn’t want to wake up. The scent of peach and vanilla teased me, invaded me.
Kat.
Only she smelled that wonderful, of summer and all the things I could want and never have. The length of her body was pressed against mine, with her hand resting on my stomach. The steady rise and fall of her chest became my entire world, and in this dream—because it had to be a dream—I felt my own chest matching her breaths.
Every cell in my body sparked and burned. If I was awake, I’d surely take on my true form. My body was on fire.
Just a dream, but it felt real.
I couldn’t resist sliding my leg over hers, burrowing my head between her neck and shoulder, and inhaling deeply. Divine. Perfect. Human. Breathing became more difficult than I’d ever imagined. Lust swirled through me, heady and consuming. I tasted her skin—a slight brush of my lips, a flick of my tongue. She felt perfect underneath me; soft in all the places I was hard.
Moving over her, against her, I loved the sound she made—a soft, wholly feminine murmur that scorched every piece of me. “You’re perfect for me,” I whispered in my own language.
She stirred, and I dreamt her responding, wanting me instead of hating me.
I pressed down, sliding my hand under her shirt. Her skin felt like satin underneath my fingertips. Precious. Prized. If she was mine, I’d cherish every inch of her. And I wanted to. Now. My hand crept up, up, up.
Kat gasped.

Here is the Official Book trailer, and below it, is a realy good fanmade one, that I liked, I really loved the song choice for it too, its like it was made for this series.
Watch for my Onyx review that I will get up soon, I will do the same kind of thing I did with this one, I love me some Daemon!!





Great Video above, that Jennifer Posted, the Model for Katy, Sztella sent this to her. JLA Site
Summary from Book:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


You can find my Shadows Review HERE

Other Books in this series:
Shadows (Lux, #0.5) Onyx (Lux, #2)

Covenant series I recommend too:
Daimon (Covenant, #0.5) Half-Blood (Covenant, #1) Pure (Covenant, #2) Deity (Covenant, #3) Elixir (Covenant, #3.5) Deity out later in fall, and Elixer will be a free Novella in the fall too.

Check out my Giveaways upper right sidebar,

0 comments:

Post a Comment