Monday, July 23, 2012

Seeing Shadows by S.H. Kolee Book Review


Seeing Shadows (Shadow #1)
Published June 2012
ISBN13 9780988474413

Summary: 
Caitlin Kile was living a normal college life full of parties and early morning classes. Living with her best friend and enjoying her senior year, Caitlin's life seemed idyllic. Until her neighbor's cousin, Simon Crewe, transferred to her school, unbalancing her tightly controlled life. Because control was one thing Caitlin desperately needed. Simon was instantly attracted to Caitlin, but he couldn't seem to get past her guarded walls. Caitlin wasn't planning on competing with all the groupies clamoring for Simon's attention ever since he became the lead singer of a popular band. But despite Caitlin's refusal to show any interest in him, Simon couldn't seem to shake his attraction to her. But Simon didn't know everything about Caitlin. He didn't know about the images of death that haunted her while she was awake. Or the gripping terrors that plagued her at night. And Simon couldn't possibly know that those terrors were determined to destroy him.

My Review

Ok, let me start of saying, WOW, and that this book caused me to get an egg size lump on my forehead, let me explain. I got so into this book, I could not put it down, so I thought I would try to walk and read at the same time, you know, multitask, and well, I ran into a door. And open door, meaning I ran right into the edge of the door that was partway open. Smack, not only which, I had stepped on my cat’s tail, much to her dismay, and burned dinner. ALL because I could not get my nose out of this book (ok, kindle, but same point) I was ok reading the beginning, not causing myself harm, as it had to build the story, but once it really got going (about halfway) I could not stop, and I snapped at my family as they tried to get my attention, lol. They are very glad that I am done with this book. The ending was such a cliffhanger too; I can’t wait until the next book.

Let me tell you a little about this book. It’s a great mix of romance, suspense and the paranormal.

Caitlin has scary visions of people who are going to die, and let me say, her visions are scary, I would have a heart-attack if I had these visions. Especially later when they turn a little different. You will see. I will say that Caitlin is a very strong character; I would never be able to handle what she does.

I really loved the friendship between Sarah and Caitlin, it was so sweet and so glad she had Sarah to turn too, as she is the only one who knows of her visions. Which by the way, look like night terrors when Caitlin has them while asleep, so it had to be scary to Sarah to wake Caitlin up from those. (they are roommates at collage)

I also loved the passion between Caitlin and Simon. I was mad at Caitlin a lot, not letting Simon in, but can understand why. But at some point when it was obvious that he was not going to give up, that he truly cared about Caitlin, she should have told him the truth, and not push him away. I can name a perfect time she could have done this. When he actually woke her from one of these visions. I know she pushed him away, because of her vision of him, but to me, she needed to keep him close to try to protect him, in my opinion. You will see why, I do not want to spoil anything.

I will say I never read a book about Vardogers before, and loved the new supernatural twist to this. It was so real feeling, but enough of the paranormal to keep my interest (anyone who knows me, I have to have some kind of paranormal in any books I read) I found the whole idea of the Vardogers fascinating and think the author did a really good job at describing what they are, and I won’t even try. Caitlin as a seer was a given when you know she has these visions right from the start of the book. I was very interested when she finally got some answers to her questions, and was also sad too at the end, at what she had to do. It broke my heart.

I really love Simon, he is gorgeous, sexy, and the most amazing gentleman. He doesn’t give up on Caitlin, even when most guys would. I really hated how she kept pushing him away, but I do understand she was doing what she thought was right at the time. But I hated how it hurt him. They are soul mates, that connection they have, is not a normal one, I really believe he will play a big role in helping her rid the world of the evil Vardoger’s. I hope anyway, in the 2nd book. He is perfect, and think would be good for Caitlin, if she would just share her secrets with him. I can hope it happens in the next book.

The fun banter between Caitlin is Simon was refreshing, loved it, especially one part where he seen Caitlin outside, looking scared, and he came up to her, and scared her on accident, here is a quote of her telling a friend about it, its cute.

Kindle Location 1701

Simon’s grin grew wider as he looked at me. “Are you talking me up already?” he asked, cocking his eyebrow.“More like warning everyone about your ego,” I retorted back. I turned to Colleen and Marnie. “Oh, and he’s a creeper. He creeps up on you and scares you to death. He nearly gave me a heart attack last week sneaking up on me.” I turned back to Simon. “You should wear a bell or something.”Simon laughed loudly at my comment.

I just love Simon’s personality, and he can sing too, who wouldn’t love the guy. Here is a sweet quote of Simon talking to Caitlin after he woke her from a night terror/vision.

Kindle Location 5315

“Caitlin, there’s so much I don’t understand about you,” Simon said softly, moving his hand from my hair to my cheek, stroking gently. “I know you’re holding back on me. And as much as it bothers me that you won’t open up, I know I’m not the only one feeling this. I can see it in your eyes. You want me as much as I want you.”I opened my mouth not sure whether I was going to protest or agree, when he continued, not giving me a chance to speak.“I’m not just talking physically, although God knows that’s a big part of it. I find my thoughts drifting to you when you’re not around. Wondering what you’re doing. What you’re thinking. You’re funny, smart, sweet and beautiful. But you don’t seem to realize it. It’s endearing and frustrating at the same time. But the glimpses you give me, the glimpses of the Caitlin with no walls, is enough for me to know that you’re worth fighting for. So that’s what I’m going to do Caitlin. I’m fighting for you.

Awe, just love him. As you should be able to tell, this book is written very well, I was sucked in, and never really seen any errors, like 2 maybe in the whole book. I really think you should give this book a try. People who love the paranormal will love this, AND people who really are more into contemporary romance, but don’t mind a little paranormal, will like this too, as it’s not too far-fetched to get into, and believe, you know what I mean. It’s got some scary stuff from the visions, and man, they are creepy, but not enough to keep me from reading. (I can’t read horror books; I get nightmares and scare to easily, lol)

I highly recommend this book. It’s now another one of my favorites.

I was given a complimentary copy of this book from the author for my honest review.


Be sure to check out Books 2 and 3. Info below for those.


Chasing Shadows (Shadow #2)
Published October 17th 2012
ISBN13 9780988474420

Authors Website http://www.shkolee.com


Warning: Spoilers for Seeing Shadows, Book #1 of the Shadow Series, are contained in the description below. Chasing Shadows is a direct continuation of Seeing Shadows. Caitlin Kile is on the run. Her life was shattered in one terrifying night, and now every decision she makes is a decision between life and death. The only thing she knows for sure is that she's tired of being scared. She's no longer a victim of shadows; she's their executioner. But who can she trust? And who can she save? Everybody Caitlin has ever loved is at risk and she'll do anything to protect them, even if it means her own death.

Hunting Shadows (Shadow #3)
Published March 4th 2013
ISBN13 9780988474444
Series Shadow #3



Hunting Shadows is the third and final installment of the Shadow Series. Warning: Spoilers for Books 1 & 2 are contained below. Caitlin Kile has been through hell and back. The war between seers and vardogers is only just beginning yet she's already suffered unimaginable losses. Revenge is the only thing fueling her to fight back, but what she doesn't realize is that she still has so much more to lose. Good and evil will battle for human souls and Caitlin must draw the line between her enemies and allies. Putting her trust in the right person will determine her victory or her death.

0 comments:

Post a Comment