Thursday, July 19, 2012

Any Love Buy Mine (Book 1 of the Erosians) by Debbie Davies



Title: Any Love But Mine
Author: Debbie Davies
Series: Erosians
Publisher: Night Publishing
Publication Date: May 3, 2012
Links:Goodreads | Amazon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Let me say first, I did LOVE this book, I really did. Can't wait for book 2.

I like books with Greek Mythology in them, especially when a great story is told. I will be honest, I was a bit lost in the beginning, but after about 20% into it, I finally was understanding more of what is going on. My advice is stick to it, it will work out for you.
We start with Acacia being created by Zeus to pacify Eros, as he was tricked into losing his one true love, and Zeus hoped to placate him, so he had created one women after another to try and make him happy. Amora and Allana came first, then Acacia was presented to him. He rejects them all.

Amora is a bitter, and a mean girl, who was exceedingly upset that Eros didn’t want her when she was created, while Allana is a bit over sweet and believes that all will be okay in the end. It’s Acacia,-the newest creation who has been turned down by Eros- who has been told that although he doesn’t want her-Eros does OWN her outright, and she is to do his bidding. She is still his, and another can’t have her. Eros also threatens Zeus that if he does not get “the only women he’s even been in love with” in the next year, a war will begin that will bring down the King Of Gods. So basically Acacia has one year to learn from her two sisters and do her job before perhaps being sent into the Underworld when the war begins and Eros goes against Zeus.

Acacia is sent to the mortal world, to school, to help love along the way. She basically matches up peoples auras that are compatible. The only problem is, that Acacia is a pretty sick of her job. She is beyond lonely and doesn’t understand why she must constantly give others the gift of love, when she can’t ever experience it herself.

But then we have Josh come along, out of nowhere, Acacia sees a stunning young guy on the football field who is a true mystery to her, because he has absolutely no aura whatsoever. Now all mortal have auras, so Acacia is confused. Is he a test? Is her mean sister, Amora, using this guy to teach Acacia a lesson? Acacia is scared, especially when her feelings for Josh grow deeper and deeper by the minute.
Here is a rather cute part when she first talks to him: Kindle location 1004
“I was staring at you because … ” I let out a sigh. I suppose I'd better go with the lesser of two evils. “ … I thought … you were … well … hot.” I cringe at the word but can’t think of a better one. My cheeks burn with embarrassment; I think I would have rather told him I was a new breed of goddess who has a twelve month expiration date, sent to the mortal world to make people fall in love. It would have been less embarrassing than this. Josh’s expression doesn't change and he doesn’t say anything back, so I carry on. 
Acacia finally finds out when her and Josh eventually touch, that he is her soul mate, the symptoms of it are something she recognizes, but she is not allowed to be with another, even though Eros does not want her. But he owns her, so she would be punished for loving another.
Here is another part I like Kindle Location 2085
“You told me that the greatest gift in this world is love, that the only bond that can’t be broken by anything but death is love and that the one thing we all deserve above anything else is love. Well, I've given I don’t know how many people that gift and now I've found it I'm not letting it go.”
At this point in the story, I was as clueless as Acacia, to who Josh is, or could be, since he does not have an aura, she thinks he has to also be a god like her, or descendent, or from the Underworld. She does not know what to think, she goes through ideas it may be a trick from Amora, her hateful “sister” But then Allana acts strange about the whole deal, and after I read the end, and found who he is, all those actions then made sense, and not sure if many would catch on to that till later like I did.

So to try to not spoil anything, I will say, more strange behavior by Allana, and Josh and Acacia do see each other, he even saves her life, from a Merfolk attack. They become quite close. Then of course Amora finds out, and tells Eros, Acacia gets threatened by Eros, and Allana says she will go to Olympus to speak with him, to try and work something out for her.

But it all is a big fail, Acacia finds herself in the Undereworld, (I won’t tell about the dramatics of her being taken there, it’s a spoiler, but heartbreaking), Hades needs her skills in order to make his wife Persephone, fall in love with him. So he can be happy, but then this would start a way that Hades has been building, that Zues does not know about.

Acacia finds she has a protector in the Underworld, from an unlikely source, an immortal (yes, a vampire) named …. Won’t say that, lol. Who seems to have romantic attraction to her as well. Well, all h..l breaks loose and won’t say why, but Acacia does get lots of answers, and I will say, this part in the Underworld, bugged me. I thought Josh was her soul mate, so why does she return this love attraction to the vampire?? It makes me MAD, I will tell you that. You do not forget about a love like Josh in a few days! That’s all I will say on that.

You will know why I say that when you read it. BUT this book is certainly setting us up for book 2, which I will read; I can’t wait to see what she does now. The situation is not good, let’s say that. The ending was very abrupt too, which left me unsatisfied, since I do not have book 2 to just pick up!

Overall it’s a really good book, like I mentioned a few parts made me mad, and it will you as well.
I had my suspicions about Josh, and wonder if you will too, so if you suspect what I did, then you will be angry too, and think Acacia is a fool.

Get the book, it’s worth reading, it’s a great tale told like I have never read before. Greek Mythology brought into the modern world. It’s great.

I guess in the second book, we will find out who exactly Acacia loves, if she chooses good, or evil.





Summary from Goodreads:

Look but don't touch has never been more true...

The gods forbade her to love, but love is a powerful force. Acacia has been created purely for Eros' pleasure but discovers within moments of being summoned into his presence that he has no interest in her whatsoever. Rejected, she is banished to Earth to serve as Eros' minion with the task of promoting the blissful state of love among all those around her, a state she must never indulge in with a human being herself on pain of immediate destruction. And then comes Josh, someone whose power of attraction over Acacia is so intense she will find it utterly impossible to resist him. But is he human? Is he a god? Or is he a trick of the gods? And what would happen should they kiss?


                                                                                                                                                       
                                                

1 comments:

  1. Great review! I hadn't heard of this one before but I checked it out and its pretty cheap on kindle right now. Downloading as we speak! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete