Saturday, May 18, 2013

Devour by Andrea Heltsley Review + Excerpt



Devour

He wasn't supposed to remember.

Callie is a royal vampire. She hunts by taking the blood from her victims and erases their memories afterwards. She goes undetected until a victim named Chase approaches her with all his memories intact. He is intrigued and attracted. She is terrified. What happens when a human mixes with the immortal world? Chaos. 

Callie’s 18th birthday has passed and she is coming out at the annual blood ball. Will she find a mate or will she suffer the repercussions of her indiscretion? She is brought to the Vampire council and they must decide what to do with Chase. Do they kill him, or turn him to protect their secret?

My review

Oveall I enjoyed the story of this book, it didn’t have much action in it or even romance really. It had enough going to keep me reading, but will say, at the ¾ mark I was waiting for something else to happen, and it never did, kind of a letdown really. It was wrapped up nice with a fairytale ending I guess.

The main characters were not really developed a lot, I never got to that point where I fall in love with them, I did with Cody, but even he got a bit chessesy at times. But not too bad.

The odd man out, Chase, I never got a chance to like or not, he was a big issue in the story, but was not developed very well. I have a hard time pinpointing what was missing. Just something was missing for me.

Its still a good quick vampire read for young teens I think,

I didn’t dislike this book, but was unhappy with some inconsistencies in it, and a few things that were repeated that got on my nerves. The main one is through the whole book the word Moment was capitalized no matter how it was used.  Even when used in a normal way, it’s almost like if you’re in Word and you do the find and replace, like that was done, and everyone was changed to start capitalized. (ok, so there is like 4 out of the 34 uses of that word that are not capitalized, did a Kindle search) It bugged me, lol. That was the main grammar error of that type. Other issue was the way these vampires spoke, sometimes old like, and other like little kids in this day and age, the main characters are teens for real, not 150 that look like a teen. The world is different, but not explained well.

I do recommend like I said for young teens, and anyone who wants to read a quick sweet vampire tale that is a bit different. I was captivated for the most part to not stop reading, until about ¾ when it got stalled out to me.

I give it 4 stars. I liked it, but not a favorite to me.

I was provided this book from the author for my honest review.


Excerpt 

Prolouge

Present Day

I sit in the bed cross-legged and gently bang my head against the bars behind me. The sheets are stiff and scratchy. The pillow is flat and the room is sparse. The only amenities accessible are a bed and a small, basic bathroom. Fortunately, I don’t have to pee in public. That’s something, at least.
My hair feels stringier than usual and the desire to wash my face with something other than plain soap is strong. It’s hard to believe how much I actually miss the normal creature comforts I’m so accustomed to. I don’t think I’ll ever take them for granted again, if I live that is.
Things have gotten desperate. I never thought something like this could ever happen, let alone to me. Due to the bizarre set of circumstances, I’m being held for possible treason. The thought that anyone would ever purposely betray our kind is unthinkable and makes me shudder.
Then there’s the fact that this is dragging two royal families’ reputations through the mud. That means I have practically ruined four council members in the process. I can’t help but be ashamed of myself. It’s not really my fault, but that doesn’t change the situation.
Being royalty brings with it so many expectations to uphold, but being a teenage vampire is what really sucks. Ha, ha sucks. Anyways, I digress. I close my eyes and let my mind take me back to a time when things were simple, before him.


Note: I am sorry if anyone was looking for a giveaway, if you seen that at the Tour host site. I never received the giveaway info, and wonder if the tour host is not doing this anymore again. I went ahead and did this post anyway. If I do get the info soon, I will update this. Maybe emails are getting lost. Thanks for stopping by. I do have other giveaways, they are always in upper right of sidebar.


You can find the other blogs on this tour at SupaGurl Tours, here

0 comments:

Post a Comment