Thursday, December 5, 2013

Entice (Ignite #1.5) By Erica Crouch ~ Book Review and Excerpt

Title: Entice, Ignite #1.5
Author: Erica Crouch
Publisher: Patchwork Press
Publication Date: November 19th, 2013


With the aftertaste of Heaven still strong, Pen and Azael cloak themselves in their new demonic destinies, fighting for Lucifer against the angels. Pen, warring against former friends turned vengeful enemies, still struggles with defecting to Hell. But in one short battle, they go from forgotten to famous, thrust into the spotlight where she has no room for uncertainty.

Suddenly top-tiered demons, they’re tasked with seeing through hell’s new agenda: corrupting man. But tarnishing Eden isn’t as simple as they thought it would be, especially when they’re forced to work with another team of demons who are trying to claw their way up the ladder of power.



AUTHOR BIO

Erica Crouch is a twenty-year-old living on the outskirts of Baltimore, Maryland. She is pursuing a degree in English and Creative Writing with a specialization in Fiction at Southern New Hampshire University. Currently, she works for a small press in editorial services. She spends what spare time she has reading an overwhelming stack of books, watching an obscene amount of Netflix and procrastinating. 
Ignite is her debut novel and she is currently writing it’s sequel along with other future projects.

Author Links:



 I was in for a shocker when picking up this book to read. I loved Ignite so much, and was really looking forward to seeing what happens next, as I seen this is 1.5 I was assuming (wrongly I might add) that this was after the events in book 1. Well I was so wrong, and it took me awhile to actually realize this, and I was so confused for awhile as it just seemed like it was taking place so long ago, and the first book was not like that. Then when Azael kills Michael I freak out, thinking how could Pen allow that to happen, as it seemed to me they fell in love in book one. Don’t worry I did not give you a spoiler, as I got to thinking back that the death of Michael was told to us in book one, how her brother was the one to originally kill him. So, at this point when it sounded familiar and I got over my fit because he died, I realized it’s a Prequel to book one. I think it should be marked as 0.5 as it takes place before book one, as many other books are marked like that.

So after all the confusion cleared up, I got into it better. Now I will say I did not care for this one near as much as I did Ignite. First off, not fond of all the time in Hell, and all the talk about it, and it just didn’t appeal to me at all. I also am not as fond of book that do not take place in my time. I can handle some, but not when its at the beginning of man. Too long ago for me.

But I know this will appeal to other fans of Ignite. Seriously if I would have realized this was a prequel I probably would not have read it. I am just so anxious to read book 2, and was thinking a 1.5 would pacify me till 2 was out. But that is totally my mistake. This book is written very well, as I expected it to. If your wanting to dig into the past of Pen and her brother (who I hate, and still hate, lol) then you will enjoy this for sure.

I still can’t wait till book 2 Incite comes out. Now that one I really, really want to read. If you had read my review of Ignite you will know I didn’t care for Pen much, but she grew on me as she seemed to be changing, becoming good, but that was after the events of this book, so I really had the feelings of not liking her again. But I knew that she changes so that did help.

So check it out, it’s defiantly worth reading, and it’s a short novella so won’t take long. It’s pretty gruesome with all the killings and nasty demons too.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Just prequels are not my thing. But still a great read, just not my favorite.

I was provided a copy of this book from the author for my honest review.

If you want to read my review of Book one, just go Here, and you can read an excerpt of it there.



Excerpt #3

When I reach the door to our room, I notice its open a crack. I stop and hold out my hand to Azael, silencing him. I press myself up against the cold, rocky wall and pull out the dagger from my belt. Az slides up next to me on the wall, brandishing his own weapon, and nods.
Whos inside? he asks.
I peek through the crack and see a shadow shift across the room, long and thin. I cant see. You didnt let anyone—?
Why would I let someone in our room?
A few seconds pass, and I hear the clinking sound of the vials in Azaels nightstand roll into one another.
Theyre touching my stuff! He goes to push around me, but I hold him back with my arm, pinning him against the wall.
Shut up and wait a second. I lean closer to the door, training my ears to pick up the muffled sound of shuffling footsteps. Theres a soft padding of rubber soles on ice just on the other side of the door, and I hold up three fingers for Az. Ready?
He nods and tightens his grip on his scythe.
I spin my blade around in my palm, readjusting my hold, and lower one finger, then two. Now!
Together, we throw our weight into the door, knocking over whomever waits on the other side for us. They go sliding across the ground and slam into the wall at the foot of Azaels bed.
As I charge forward, I notice its a man with dark, unkempt hair, dressed plainly in black clothes. Before he can even raise his head to see us, we descend on him. I pin down his chest with my knee, shifting my weight into his ribs and holding my dagger to his throat as Azael steps on his arms, stopping them from scrabbling for purchase of something he could use as a weapon.
Name?Azael demands.
The man stops moving and lets out an annoyed sigh. “Could you let me sit up?”
“Give us a name and well consider it,” I answer him, glancing at Azael.
“I see you two will be even more difficult than I was made aware.” The man tosses his head back, throwing the hair away from his face.
Hes younger than I would have guessed him to be, based on his height and posture. He has a mess of scruff across his narrow, pointed jaw and high cheekbones that give his face a sunken look. I notice his bright violet eyes and remember Im staring back at him with similar ones. Violent violet—the hue of the damned.


Trailer for the first book, Ignite. You can add it to Goodreads here.



Title: Ignoite ( Ignite #1)
Author: Erica Crouch
Publisher: Patchwork Press
Publication Date: June 11th, 2013


Penemuel (Pen) fell from grace over a millennium ago, yet there are still times she questions her decision to follow her twin brother, Azael, to Hell. Now that the archangel Michael has returned, threatening Lucifer’s vie for the throne, she begins questioning everything she has always believed. 

As Hell prepares for war - spreading a demonic virus and pilfering innocent souls to build an army - the lines separating the worlds blur. Fates erase and the future is left unwritten. Azael is determined that he and his sister will continue to serve as demons together, but for the first time in her life, Pen is not ruled by destiny. She has the freedom of choice.

With choice comes sacrifice, and Pen must decide which side she’s willing to risk everything fighting for: the light, or the dark.

0 comments:

Post a Comment